About the Site
Student at computer
This Web site was developed to provide middle school teachers with a comprehensive, single source education tool. Connecte²d
Teaching presents a unique real-life scenario in earthquake engineering design, offering students the opportunity to increase their understanding
while motivating them to learn more, and to explore the fascinating world of STEM – science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
The site is divided into several interrelated sections covering a wide range of materials, with each area providing distinctive learning objectives.
- The Lesson Plans section contains materials that will engage students in authentic, disaster-related
- The Shake & Quake section is an interactive simulation tool, which allows the student to assume the
role of structural engineer and to design a building.
- Teachers and students learn more about the importance of sound Earthquake Engineering & Design
principles and the need to implement them from this section.
- Another valuable tool for students and teachers is the E-Resources section, which includes a searchable
database providing links to authoritative Web sites about earthquakes and other related topics.
- To round out the site, visit the Showcase of student work to see photos and video clips of student
activites, competitions, and announcements for upcoming events.