Fourth UniQ-UB/MCEER Earthquake Engineering Seminar
Quisqueya University Campus, Haut Turgeau, Port-au-Prince, Haïti
August 1-25, 2011
The fourth in a series of professional development earthquake engineering seminars presented by Haiti's Quisqueya University (UniQ) and the University at Buffalo's Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER) offers nine programs that provide in-depth instruction on seismic design practices for Haiti.
Developed with UniQ faculty and based on Haitian construction practices, programs include lectures, hands-on exercises, design examples and in-field demonstrations. Seminars will be held August 1-25, 2011, at Quisqueya University, Haut Turgeau, in Port-au-Prince. Instructors are international experts from academia and practice. All lectures and seminar materials are presented in French.
Seminars provide participants opportunities to Learn & Earn: learn established methods for earthquake engineering design and construction, and earn certificates for the equivalent of Professional Development Hours / Credits, which can be applied toward a future Master's degree in earthquake engineering from UniQ. Participants begin with the prerequisite** Introductory Program, and continue with Advanced Programs of their choice.
Certificates of completion are awarded to all Introductory Program participants. Advanced Program participants who earn a passing grade on the technical exam receive a certificate of completion of training.
Seminar topics include:
- Introductory Program: August 1-2, 2011**
"Introduction to Earthquake Engineering and Post-Earthquake Building Assessment"
- Advanced Program I: August 3-4, 2011
"Seismic Design Load Calculations in Haiti"
- Advanced Program II: August 5, 2011
NEW!“Simplified Seismic Analysis of Buildings in Haiti”
- Advanced Program III: August 6, 2011
"Properties and Quality Control of Materials for the Construction of Earthquake-Resisting Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings in Haiti"
- Advanced Program IV: August 7-8, 2011
NEW!“Seismic Design of Steel Buildings in Haiti”
- Advanced Program V: August 9-11, 2011
"Seismic Design of Reinforced and Confined Masonry Buildings in Haiti"
- Advanced Program VI: August 15-17, 2011
“Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Buildings in Haiti”
- Advanced Program VII: August 18-19, 2011
NEW! “Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Seismic Design of Foundation in Haiti”
- Advanced Program VIII: August 20-25, 2011
“Seismic Design of Wood Buildings in Haiti”
** The Introductory program is a prerequisite to Advanced Programs.
View a Detailed Table of Program Descriptions
View Preliminary Agenda
Who Should Attend
- practicing civil engineers and architects
- civil engineering and architectural graduate and senior-level undergraduate students
- contractors and builders
- engineers from NGOs and government
- André Bergeron - Eng., Consultant in Structures, Montreal (QC) Canada
- Constantin Christopoulos - Ph.D., Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada
- Pierre Fouché - Ph.D. Candidate, University at Buffalo
- André Filiatrault - Ph.D., Eng., Professor of Civil Engineering, University at Buffalo & MCEER Director
- Wassim M. Ghannoum - Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- J. Eric Karsh - M.Eng., P. Eng., Principal, Equilibrium Consulting Inc, Vancouver, Canada
- Denis LeBoeuf - Eng., M.Sc., Ph.D., Professor of Civil Engineering, Graduate Programs Director, Département de génie civil et de génie des eaux, Université Laval, Québec, Canada
View Full Instructor Bios
- Tingue Wolfield, Civil Engineer, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Architecture, UniQ
Phone: (509) 3844-9135
- Sofia Tangalos, MCEER, University at Buffalo (USA)
Phone: 00 + 1 (716) 645-1157
Cliquez pour voir la version française | Click to view in French