Education & Outreach
Information Service provides a critical role in achieving MCEER's education objectives, which are to
- stimulate interest in engineering and sciences at the earliest levels,
- develop future leaders in earthquake engineering/hazards mitigation at the undergraduate and graduate levels,
- and assist practitioners in keeping pace with changes in their fields.
IS contributes to MCEER’s education initiatives by providing learning opportunities and tools for students and educators at the K-12, undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as continuing education for practitioners.
Community Events - Presentations and Tours
We are pleased to host local and regional schools at UB as an opportunity to enhance classroom lessons and activities. Please note:
- Presentation is most beneficial if students have been introduced to plate tectonics, earthquake education, and the basics of engineering prior to the visit.
- Our program is tailored to the students' grade level and earth science background.
- Scheduling depends primarily on room availability.
- We require a minimum of 1 ½ hours for the educational demonstration / site visit.
- Our facilities can accommodate a total of 49 people (including students, teachers, staff, and chaperone).
- Local Teachers Learn about Natural Hazards Research
- S.H.E.E.P. Home School Group
- NCCC Tech Wars 2011
- Fox Run
- Girl Scout Troop 30610
- Williamsville CSD Technology Education Teachers
- Ultimate Scientists Club
- Buffalo Museum of Science Discovery Camp
- Thomas Marks Elementary School
- Buffalo Public School #72
- Buffalo Public School #18
- Union Pleasant Elementary School
Directions to UB
Educational demonstrations will be presented in Ketter Hall on the UB North Campus of the University at Buffalo. If using Google Maps or other web mapping services, please enter: White Road, Buffalo, NY 14260.
Getting to UB North Campus from the I-290
- Take the RT-263 N exit 5B (Millersport Hwy North) – go 0.3 miles
- Bear right at Millersport Hwy – go 0.6 miles
- Take the ramp to State University/Flint Entrance – go 0.4 miles
- Bear right at Audubon Parkway – go 0.7 miles
- Bear right at White Rd – go 0.5 miles
- Turn Right to Ketter Hall Parking Lot – Ketter Hall is located on the left