Interesting Disaster & Engineering Web Sites
Despite making some headway, America's infrastructure could use a bit of help.
Several weeks ago, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) released their annual report card on the nation's infrastructure. The report looked at 16 categories of infrastructure (including aviation and wastewater systems) and as a whole, the entire system received a D+. (This is a significant improvement over last year, when the system received a D.) The president of the society, Gregory DiLoreto, noted that "We waste hours sitting in traffic; power outages become more frequent; we lose billions of gallons of water through leaky pipes. These things are costing us money and we are getting nothing for it." The report noted that the cost of fixing the nation's crumbling levees alone could cost more than $100 million. While there is dissent in some quarters about the extent of the problems, most policy officials and pundits agree that public-private partnerships will be an integral part of the solution over the coming years and decades.
- U.S. Gets Low Marks on Infrastructure From Engineers' Group
- An NPR clip about this recent report card, complete with commentary from several different policy experts.
- It's no quick economic fix, but America will pay the price if it neglects its infrastructure
- An article from Telegraph about this infrastructure conundrum.
- Using Pension Funds to Build Infrastructure and Put Americans to Work
- Center for American Progress
- A piece about how pension funds might be deployed to build infrastructure and make necessary improvements across the country.
- Federal Highway Administration: Bridge Technology
- Federal Highway Administration
- A site which talks about the various bridge technologies and thematic programs that might improve the nation's infrastructure in the long term.
- The History of Large Federal Dams: Planning, Design, and Construction
- National Park Service
- A fascinating history of the nation's dams, provided courtesy of the National Park Service.
- 2013 ReportCard on America's Infrastructure
- The 2013 National Report Card on America's Infrastructure from the ASCE.
U.S. Gets Low Marks on Infrastructure From Engineers' Group
An NPR clip about this recent report card, complete with commentary from several different policy experts.… NPR
From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2013. https://www.scout.wisc.edu/